Henning, Haslewood and Cid

So Radha busted out of Airlie the day I came into Hamilton. He spent the night at Henning Island and being glad to be out of Airlie Beach was wondering why he hadn’t gotten out sooner. To his credit though he was very busy working on his new collection and I was amazed and what he had created since I was away. We aren’t retired and work is part of our life, so we have to remember that sometimes, as far as always being on the go. And yes he spent the night on a mooring (which we said we wouldn’t do) but it didn’t cause him too much grief.

Continue reading “Henning, Haslewood and Cid”

Around Hook Island

It was still quite windy when we left Windy Bay and weren’t quite sure where we were actually heading to, so we decided to do a scenic sail. We went past Chalkies, then across to Whitehaven, both looked a little uncomfortable. Without stopping we headed North around the lumpy and rough top of Whitsundays Island, seeing if any anchorage there looked nicely protected. In the end we anchored at Marcona Inlet, Hook Island.

Continue reading “Around Hook Island”

Mackay to Brampton Island

Our friends from Gypsy Pearl untied our lines for us and off we went saying goodbye, bonjours and fair winds. Well it was quite rough once out of the breakwall with wind and tide against each other, the waves were decent and steep. Along the way we at first thought we saw some kind of a tanker run aground but on closer inspection it was a tug boat towing a barge. We also named our autopilot Captain Downwind, finding that he does a better job than us keeping the sails open.

Continue reading “Mackay to Brampton Island”

Curlew Island to Mackay

It has been 3 1/2 weeks since we left Gladstone, provisioned and had been amongst ‘civilisation’. With a 45 nm passage ahead from Curlew Island to Mackay we left at 6:20 am motoring out of the bay with our new friends on Glidepath just a little way ahead. We knew it wouldn’t be long until they would be way ahead but it was nice to cruise in company even if for a little bit. We felt the breeze and up went our sails as we set off on our downwind course.  After some flapping and frustration we got on a tack and goosewinged her sails out. Ahh much better, she was sailing along nicely.

Continue reading “Curlew Island to Mackay”

South Percy to Curlew Island

After not enough wind yesterday, today the predicted increased wind strength occurred. It actually started last night along with a direction shift which made the anchorage at South Percy feeling not very safe, nor the most comfortable. So again another weather based decision; where to go now. Never having been to Middle Percy we were unsure how the anchorage would be considering the weather but it was only 2 hours away. Our other option would be 6 hours to Curlew Island.

The wind was up to 25 knots with choppy swell in mixed directions. As we came closer to Middle Percy we saw a yacht leaving, considering what they were leaving into we decided to just go to Curlew,  having more confidence in its’ protection.

Continue reading “South Percy to Curlew Island”